Under-nutrition continues to adversely affect majority of women in India. In India, every third woman is undernourished and every second woman is anaemic. An undernourished mother almost inevitably gives birth to a low birth weight baby.
When poor nutrition starts in-utero, it extends throughout the life cycle since the changes are largely irreversible. Owing to economic and social distress many women continue to work to earn a living for their family right up to the last days of their pregnancy. Furthermore, they resume working soon after childbirth, even though their bodies might not permit it, thus preventing their bodies from fully recovering on one hand, and also impeding their ability to exclusively breastfeed their young infant in the first six months.
- Providing partial compensation for the wage loss in terms of cash incentives so that the woman can take adequate rest before and after delivery of the first living child.
- The cash incentive provided would lead to improved health seeking behaviour amongst the Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM).
- Target beneficiaries
- All Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers, excluding PW&LM who are in regular employment with the Central Government or the State Governments or PSUs or those who are in receipt of similar benefits under any law for the time being in force.
- All eligible Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers who have their pregnancy on or after 01.01.2017 for first child in family.
iii. The date and stage of pregnancy for a beneficiary would be counted with respect to her LMP date as mentioned in the MCP card.
- Case of Miscarriage/Still Birth:
(i) A beneficiary is eligible to receive benefits under the scheme only once.
(ii) In case of miscarriage/stillbirth, the beneficiary would be eligible to claim the remaining instalment(s) in event of any future pregnancy.
(iii) Thus, after receiving the 1st instalment, if the beneficiary has a miscarriage, she would only be eligible for receiving 2nd and 3rd instalment in event of future pregnancy subject to fulfilment of eligibility criterion and conditionalities of the scheme. Similarly, if the beneficiary has a miscarriage or stillbirth after receiving 1st and 2nd instalments, she would only be eligible for receiving 3rd instalment in event of future pregnancy subject to fulfilment of eligibility criterion and conditionalities of the scheme.
- Case of Infant Mortality:
- i. A beneficiary is eligible to receive benefits under the scheme only once. That is, in case of infant mortality, she will not be eligible for claiming benefits under the scheme if she has already received all the instalments of the maternity benefit under PMMVY earlier.
- ii. Pregnant and Lactating AWWs/ AWHs/ ASHA may also avail the benefits under the PMMVY subject to fulfilment of scheme conditionalities
- Benefits under PMMVY
- i. Cash incentives in three instalments i.e. first instalment of ` 1000/- on early registration of pregnancy at the Anganwadi Centre (AWC)/ approved Health facility as may be identified by the respective administering State/ UT, second instalment of ` 2000/- after six months of pregnancy on receiving at Chapter – 2 3 least one ante-natal check-up (ANC) and third instalment of ` 2000/- after childbirth is registered and the child has received the first cycle of BCG, OPV, DPT and Hepatitis-B, or its equivalent/ substitute.
- The eligible beneficiaries would receive the incentive given under the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) for Institutional delivery and the incentive received under JSY would be accounted towards maternity benefits so that on an average a woman gets ` 6000/-.
- Conditionalities and Instalments
- i. PW&LM shall receive a cash benefit of ` 5000/- in three instalments at the following stages as specified in the table given below:
Conditionalities and Instalments
|First Instalment||Early Registration of pregnancy||1,000/-|
|Second Instalment||Received at least one ANC (can be claimed after 6 months of pregnancy)||2,000/-|
|i. Child Birth is registered
ii. Child has received first cycle of BCG, OPV,DPT and Hepatitis-B or its equivalent/substitute
- ii. The eligible beneficiaries would receive the remaining cash incentive as per approved norms towards the Maternity Benefit under JSY after institutional delivery so that on an average, a woman will get ` 6000/-.
Closure of old Maternity Benefit Programme
- i. The beneficiaries under old Maternity Benefit Programme in 53 pilot districts (Annexure M), who have already received first instalment of maternity benefit, shall be entitled for receiving cash incentive as per approved norms towards maternity benefit under JSY and also the third instalment under PMMVY if they or otherwise eligible under the scheme and fulfil the conditions laid down for incentive under JSY and third instalment under PMMVY.
- ii. The eligible beneficiaries in 53 pilot districts who have registered under old Maternity Benefit Programme (IGMSY) on or after 01.01.2017, but have not received first instalment may register under PMMVY.
iii. Conditions for subsuming registered beneficiaries under old Maternity Benefit Programme in PMMVY for 53 pilot Districts: –
- Under the old Maternity Benefit Programme, maternity benefit of ` 6000/- was disbursed to the beneficiaries in two equal instalment of ` 3000/- each. The first instalment of ` 3000/- was provided after second trimester of pregnancy to those beneficiaries who have got them registered at the Anganwadi Centre/ health centre with at least two antenatal check-ups. The second instalment was provided after registering the birth of the child and completing immunization of the child, as per the conditions of the scheme.
- Thus, if a woman has already received first instalment of maternity benefit under old Maternity Benefit Programme, she shall be entitled for receiving the cash incentives as per approved norms under JSY for institutional delivery and for third instalment under the PMMVY, if she is otherwise eligible under the scheme and fulfil the conditions laid down for incentives under JSY for institutional delivery and third instalment under PMMVY.